To Begin With
- The best way to become a better writer is simply to write.
- Write every day.
- Enter writing contests geared towards young adult writers. (It’s a great way to get your work out there, and to get feedback.)
- Learn the basics of writing in school (grammar, etc.). Knowledge is power.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. Most writers edit their work countless times before anyone ever sees it. If your first, second, or third draft is rough, well, that’s completely normal.
- Don’t worry that your idea “has already been done.” Everything has already been done. What you offer is a unique voice, as well as, your unique perspective.
- Draw inspiration from Pictures
- Write Fanfiction
- Search for Writing Prompts Online
- Read and Study Your Favorite Writers
Contests for YA Authors
- http://www.teenink.com/Contests – A site with a number of contests.
- http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/OtherResources/WeeklyHighSchoolWritingContest.aspx – Teen writing contests.
- http://www.pomegranatewords.com/magazine/teen_writing_contests.html – More teen writing contests.
- http://www.adlit.org/fun/?catid=861 – Contests and writing activities.
- http://www.youthcomm.org/for_teens/writing_contests.html – Writing contests with cash prizes.