My writing ideas come from a variety of different places. A lot of the times, I’ll have dreams that are so real and unique that I immediately run over and write them down, so I don’t forget. Later on, I usually find my dreams don’t logically make a lot of sense, but I start to mull over some of the more interesting parts, and usually before the day is done, I’ve got a great story idea.
Another way I come up with my ideas is that I’ll think of a really challenging situation or a really unusual character. Then, while I’m going about my day, I’ll slowly build on that single idea until I’ve got the plot for an entire book.
I often read about author’s running out of ideas. I’m not worried about running out of ideas, so much as, I’m worried that I’ll never find the time to take the best ones and create something really spectacular with them.
Struggling for ideas? Here are some suggestions:
- Find a picture online and try to write something about it
- “People watch” when you’re out and about. See if you can create a story behind a person.
- Look for an unusual object and tell the story of where it came from and how it ended up there.
- Listen to a song and see what it inspires you to write
- Think of a really neat setting and build a story around it
How do you come up with ideas?