Learning to use Kindle Direct Publishing to publish my novel To Kill a Wizard wasn’t nearly as hard as learning to properly format my book for Kindle readers. Both, however, had their challenges, which I’ll share here, as well as, some tips on how I formatted my novel.
Things I learned:
- First, I uploaded my book and made sure there were no basic issues.
- After that, I looked at how my book actually appeared on my Kindle Previewer. I found I needed to adjust my spacing, indents, and font size, depending on what I thought looked best.
- In “page setup,” I changed the page size to be six-by-nine.
- Then, I had to select a “custom margin” based on the size of my book. I believe I went with the “top,” “bottom,” and “outside” being .5, the “inside” being 0, and the “gutter” being .75.
- I selected “mirror margins” and applied it to the “whole document.”
- But these numbers vary based upon the number of pages in your book.
- A lot of writers also choose to space their lines by 1.5, but I found that it looked like way too much, so I played with it until I found the perfect number (for me) 1.35.
- I finally changed my “style set” to “simple.”
- (For more information on formatting these areas for Kindle, check out: Createspace Help.)
- Trying to figure out your trim size? Check here.
- Youtube was my friend for the next step in formatting. Creating a table of contents within the novel, with links to each chapter in my book, sounds like an easy process, but it wasn’t. I used buttons in Microsoft Word that I’ve never used before. I’ll sum it up below:
- I changed the “style” of my document to “simple.”
- Then went to “Insert” and “Table.” It then warned me “No Table of Contents Entries Found.”
- I highlighted each chapter title, clicked “Heading 1” under the “Home” menu in Microsoft Word.
- When I was done highlighting each chapter, I hit “Update Table,” and it all showed up.
- Finally, I highlighted “Table of Contents” and made a “Bookmark” (Found under the “Insert” menu). When the box pops up, name it “toc” for table of contents.
- And that’s about it!
- (For more information on formatting your table of contents, check out: YouTube Video.
- Finally, I uploaded my cover. The first time, I included the entire cover. But then, I realized that the image people saw when searching for my book was the entire cover, including the back, so I had to reload my image with just the front of the cover.
- After that, I had to determine the cost for my book, the channels I wanted it distributed on, and whether to join KDP Select. I think these options are personal choices, so I won’t go into that.
- One thing I will say, however, is that because I was setting things up for pre-releasing my book at the end of June, it seemed I had a lot of options. Most everything appeared like it could be adjusted up until right before the date the novel would be available. So, I selected July 4th as my release date, thinking I could change it later. Turns out that’s a big no, no. I contacted Amazon who explained I could move it up once, without penalty, but not back. Next time, I’ll make sure I am 100% sure about my date before I choose it.
So overall, Kindle Direct was really easy to use, but it did require some internet research, random texts to my good friends Amber Kallyn and Aeon Igni, and picking the brains of several other writer friends. I’m sure many people have done this completely on their own, but there is nothing better than an assortment of awesome people to help make the process easier.
Books by Lisa Morrow: Lisa Morrow Author Page